Episode #17: From Learning To Action: A Math Mentoring Moment With Matthew Makuch
On today’s show, we’re bringing on Matt Makuch from Victoria, British Columbia to share his mathematics professional learning journey thus far. Matt shares some of the influencers who inspired him initially to begin thinking differently about teaching his math class including Marcy Cook, Kim Sutton, and Sherry Perrish. He also shares how he took the plunge to take his professional learning to the next level when he joined our Making Math Moments That Matter Online Workshop.
In particular, he’ll share his progress thus far incorporating the Notice and Wonder routine, how he is now better mathematizing the world around him to incorporate into his mathematics learning environment, and his early attempts at spiralling the mathematics curriculum.
- Great resources to start (or continue) your mathematics learning journey;.
- Some of the challenges you might experience when trying to implement a notice and wonder protocol;
- How Matthew has “stumbled” upon a great set of curious math prompts after taking our online workshop by seeing the mathematics in the world around him;
- Matthew’s biggest take-aways from our online workshop he participated in recently;
- The importance of widening your perspective when it comes to teaching mathematics and teaching in general.
Thanks For Listening
- Apply for a Math Mentoring Moment
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter, or Facebook.
To help out the show: