Episode #16: How To Create Authentic Conversations In Math Class: An Interview with Marian Small
Join us while we chat with the great Marian Small. For us, Marian has been a rock and a foundation for how we’ve changed our teaching practice! She’s an author, math education influencer, and Open question guru! In this discussion we talk with Marian about the origin story of open questions, how open questions compare to open middle problems, and how being more intentional with big ideas versus specific skills is more beneficial for student learning.
- What are open questions and how they can change your classroom.
- How you can differentiate your questioning with open questions.
- What’s the difference between open questions and open middle problems?
- Why you should be more intentional in your teaching.
- How to change the focus of your lesson to big ideas instead of a specific skills [and why you should.]
- How MathUP can help you as a teacher think about teaching math while providing you with resources!
Thanks For Listening
- Apply for a Math Mentoring Moment
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter, or Facebook.
To help out the show: