Episode 233: How to Move Beyond Answer Getting. A Math Mentoring Moment (Ep. 38 Replay)
In this Math Mentoring Moment episode we speak with a year 1 (first grade) teacher Sierra Classen in her second year of teaching from Melbourne, Australia. Listen in as we work through this common struggle we have all faced – either currently or in the past – related to students hyper focusing on answer getting over process.
This is another Math Mentoring Moment Episode where we speak with a member of the Math Moment Maker Community where together we brainstorm strategies and next steps for teachers to overcome pebbles they have in their shoe by growing all six parts of their Mathematics Program.
- Strategies to help your students re-think the purpose of math class.
- How games can shape math lessons
- Why number talks are great culture builders
- Characteristics of effective math instruction
- Two Types of questions you should avoid answering
- Characteristics of Effective Teaching of Mathematics
- Peter Lilejedahl’s website
- Episode #11: Play Is The Engine Of Learning: An Interview with Dan Finkel
- Rush hour (game)
- Spiralgraph Set
Take the Make Math Moments Math Program Assessment Tool [Classroom Teacher & Leader Versions]
Join the Academy – Free for 30 Days
District Leader Resources:
Take the Make Math Moments Math Program Assessment Tool
The Make Math Moments District Planning Workbook [First 3 pages]
Learn About Our District Improvement Program
Are you a district mathematics leader interested in crafting a mathematics professional learning plan that will transform your district mathematics program forever? Book a time to chat with us!
Other Useful Resources and Supports:
Make Math Moments Framework [Blog Article]
DOWNLOAD THE MAKE MATH MOMENTS FROM A DISTANCE CHEAT SHEETS
Download the Cheat Sheets in PDF form so you can effectively run problem based lessons from a distance!
UP YOUR DISTANCE LEARNING GAME IN THE ACADEMY
There is a LOT to know, understand, and do to Make Math Moments From a Distance.
That’s why so many Math Moment Makers like YOU have joined the Academy for a month ON US!
You heard right: 30 days on us and you can cancel anytime. Dive into our distance learning course now…
Thanks For Listening
- Apply for a Math Mentoring Moment
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Share this show on Twitter, or Facebook.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify.
ONLINE WORKSHOP REGISTRATION
Pedagogically aligned for teachers of K through Grade 12 with content specific examples from Grades 3 through Grade 10.
In our self-paced, 12-week Online Workshop, you'll learn how to craft new and transform your current lessons to Spark Curiosity, Fuel Sense Making, and Ignite Your Teacher Moves to promote resilient problem solvers.